Emerging bands contest
About this contest
MARIMBA PROJECT LAUNCHES AN EMERGING BANDS CONTEST FOR YOUNG PEOPLE BETWEEN 16 AND 30 YEARS OLD
- Six bands from Angola, Guinea-Bissau, Mozambique and East-Timor will be selected to participate in the Marimba Gathering Festival, to be held in Maputo in 2024;
- The goal is to stimulate the artistic creations of the newest generations and promote sociocultural exchange.
Marimba aims to contribute to the rescue of cultural identity, to its dissemination, and to the strengthening, inclusion, and sustainability of the sector's agents.
Applications for the Marimba Project's first Band Contest are now open. Interested parties may submit the application file from March 6 to June 12, 2023.
Registration is free and must respect the instructions published in the Regulation, available for consultation athttps://marimba.art/challenges, namely sending models of the original and unpublished themes.
Six Bands will be selected, two from Angola and Mozambique, and one each from Guinea-Bissau and East-imor.
The selected bands will participate in the event Marimba Gathering.
Additionally, a cash prize will be awarded and travel expenses to the Marimba Gathering will be covered, if necessary. The selected bands will also be booked nationally and internationally by Marimba Booking / Soundsgood, a structure that aims to promote creators from the PALOPs and East-Timor.
The six winning projects also stood out for their innovative ability to find the starting point for new forms of musical expression in their cultural roots.
These were the winning bands of the Competition:
● Sara Saka (musical genre: Afropop, Popular Music)
● Cleyton M (musical genre: Fusion)
● Banda M’Laio (musical genre: Marrabenta)
● The Hood Brodz (musical genre: Afro house, Afro tech)
● Jery Biden Quartet (musical genre: Fusion)
● The Kraken (musical genre: Alternative Rock, Tebe-Tebe)
The six selected bands will be managed nationally and internationally by Marimba Booking / Soundsgood until 2026, thus integrating a structure that aims to promote creators from PALOP and Timor-Leste.
Sign up for Emerging bands contest